Sunday, December 5, 2021

An Arizona Winter’s Night Equals a Good Wool Blanket.

 

Ruby all curled up in a tight little ball to stay warm at our feet. It got down to thirty in the night, but we are from Iowa, so this is good sleeping weather for us.

We made camp last night at a friendly KOA in Willcox, Arizona. The camp is all gravel with a few scattered trees, which is better for Ruby than a camp full of cacti and other sticky things that gets stuck in her paws. The KOA includes a little cafe. We ordered dinner, which an elderly man delivered to our camper door on a gulf cart. He passed us up a couple times looking for our campsite number boldly displayed at one end. I don't know, maybe he was new. Helpful tip: When a menu in Arizona says a burger is spicy, it's spicy. 


This beauty is parked next to us. 

I thought I wanted a small vintage-looking camper like a Scamp, but considering how tight it can feel in our 22 foot home on wheels, I am grateful we settled on a bigger one. Mostly, we have a “baby” camper compared to the semi-like rigs in most RV parks. Here at the Willcox KOA, several monster motor homes are decorated with lights, Christmas trees, garland, and wreaths. We need to up our game. 


This is how the sunset began. 



The colors start to pop.





The lemon yellow color over the mountains is my favorite.

This plains girl never gets tired of watching the sunsets and sunrises, wherever I travel. I don’t see much of them living in the city center on the first floor of a south facing condo. 



The Chiricahua National Monument.

These towering volcanic rock formations are what we plan to venture to today. I understand people come from all over the world to see them and the monument is only 35 minutes from us. I'm pretty sure Cray will want to take a few photos of this!



We’ll also be looking for all the birds that migrate here, including thousands of sandhill cranes at Sulphur Springs Valley, nearby.




And finally, since this is the land of cowboys, I'll be keeping an eye out for an available-well-aged- rancher to take home to my cowgirl mom, but not these two buckaroos. 🙂




No comments: