Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Ruby Refuses To Go For A Walk

Ruby refuses to walk around the block with me, but I’ll get to that story…

 
 

Ruby sticks close to Cray. Here they are taking an afternoon siesta. Bonnie loves all shades of purple and the colors flow throughout the house. She also loves books, plants, art, fish, and gardening. Her tiled floors and colorful palate, make her southwestern-style home comfortable and inviting. 

I love the double doors to Bonnie’s backyard where the last of her vegetables wait to be harvested. There are large green tomatoes that haven’t turned red and she promised to fry some up for us. Bonnie has a clothesline - and she uses it! We did laundry yesterday and I got to hang up cloths, which were miraculously dry in no time. You do did not need a dryer in New Mexico! She has a hose from her washing machine that runs the washer-water across her floor, out a dog door, and into her garden for watering. Of course she uses a nontoxic detergent, as well as composting and recycling everything. 

I love all the arched doorways. There are several skylights, and I keep thinking I forgot to turn off a light.

One of Crays first projects was to put this trundle bed together. Bonnie gave her a “honey-do” list and she is making her way through it. I love that Cray knows her way around carpentry, mechanics, and cooking. I’m a lucky woman!

The second night here we visited White Sands National Park to see the moon rise over the sand. The park stayed open late for the full moon and this was obviously a popular local event - like taking your family to the beach. It looked like snow and actually felt cold under your feet.

Cray in the moonlight. I love that face. 


 It was dark outside, so Cray took photos using a long exposure. I slid down the sand dune behind me on a plastic disk sled. I’m excited to go back when it’s light out and really get a running start on a bigger sand dune. The kids next to us were flying down the dune, of course they probably only weighed 40 lbs, lol. 

  
We tagged along with Bonnie to an annual birthday BBQ party. There was a live band that played the oldies (like before 1964), a fire pit, and gorgeous skies. I met an interesting German man and his wife. He had just hiked 3 hours on the mountain that borders Las Cruces called “Organ Mountain,” because of its unusual shape - I’ll post a photo at some point so you can see it. I asked about snakes and he said yes. 😳


One of Bonnie’s friends sent her this photo from the other evening. The skies are amazing here. 


Cray took this photo at the BBQ.


Sunday rolled around and we went to Bonnie’s church called the Center for Spiritual Living. We’ve been watching her preach virtually and it was fun to hear her in person. Their website says they are “creating a world that works for everyone.” Check out csl-lascruces.org


Me peeking behind Cray. 


Finally, I’ll talk about how Ruby won’t go for a walk with me. The corner of this couch has become her landing spot. Bonnie has a plethora of squeaky dog toys and Ruby is in doggy heaven, except she refuses to walk past the front of the house. She won’t go right or left. She just puts her brakes on. 


I think she is afraid of these Coyote vests. Apparently, small animals can get attacked by coyotes, hawks, and owls, so Bonnie has these protective vests hanging by the front door. Ruby is like, “No thank you, I’ll just stay in the yard.” 




No comments: