Monday, November 1, 2021

Buster & Ruby Travel on the Moon.



                                                
        
The Domes are a very unique Airbnb owned by Bonnie's friends, Liliane and Doug. They are located way up on a mountain near High Rollers, New Mexico. The Domes were built by Doug's parents and have been his home for thirty-some years. Liliane invited us to join them for dinner and to stay overnight. We didn't hesitate to accept her generous invitation and packed some food, a change of clothes, the dogs, and hit the road. The structure consists of three large connected geodesic domes that are separated by doors. Doug and Liliane live in the smallest dome and share the two larger domes as vacation rentals to individuals and for retreats (5000 square feet of coolness).  

The highway to the Domes passes by the White Sands Missile Range - the Department of Defense's largest open air missile range, research center, and training facility.  According to their website, they have a public museum that traces America's missile and space activity and you can learn about how the atomic age began. The first time we went to White Sands National Park we drove to front gate of the range to pick up Lynn, a physician friend of Bonnie's, who went with us to see the full moon over the white sand. Visible just past the super secure entrance is a public missile park. Lynn told us that the missle park displays all the different missiles and rockets tested there. White Sands Missile Range is where top secret military stuff happens and is 3,200 square miles of creepiness.

  





The highway continues right by White Sands National Park and we stopped to look around in the daylight and let Cray could get her National Park “Passport” stamped. We were greeted at the gate by a John Deere road grader clearing sand...just another reminder of my Iowa roots. Ruby and Buster loved climbing on the dunes, but Buster promptly peed on my leg! His vision is poor and I must have looked like a cactus.

We reached High Rollers before noon and began our trek up the mountain to our final destination. Bonnie had warned us about the road to the Domes, but nothing prepared me for how I would react to the experience. We started out on a curvy paved road with metal guard rails around each hairpin turn. I thought to myself, “This isn’t so bad!” Then the pavement ended and my horror began. I recalled having a similar experience in Denali National park where Micole and I rode on narrow gravel road, passing other buses so close to the edge of the cliff I thought for sure we were going to crash and die. Gratefully, there were no tour buses on this mountain road. 

Riding in the passenger’s seat put me on the valley side of the mountain, and while the views were spectacular, I could barely force myself to look! My cheeks were clenched tightly (not the ones on my face) and I was gripping the “oh shit” truck handle and trying not to hold my breath. We stopped briefly for a couple photo opportunities and I felt safer when the truck wasn't moving.



You can see the White Sands National Park in the distance. This photo does not capture how high up in the mountains we were.




Cray said the road was like driving on the moon. Buster and Ruby slept through most of it. The narrow, bumpy, winding, guard-rail-less, gravel road, hugged the mountain and made my stomach drop to my feet, but the trip was well worth it when we finally arrived to the Domes.



The dome ceilings are 27 feet high with tons of skylights and endless mountain views. 


Cray grilled beef and lamb burgers on the large deck that ran the length of the three domes.


Liliane is a gifted artist and her amazing work can be seen on the walls throughout the place. 


The deck was a perfect spot to watch the sun go down.


I took this sunset photo with my cell phone. I am much better with a phone than a camera - I'll leave that to Cray.  Liliane is also a talented photographer and it was fun to watch them bond over shop talk. 


One of the big dogs hanging out on the deck. 



We were greeted by two friendly white Great Pyrenees that guard the owners, their chickens, gardens, and guests from wild animals and any two legged predators that might wander onto the property. Ruby was scared to death of these giant dogs, but they just sniffed her you-know-what and walked away. 

It’s impossible to capture the beauty and peacefulness of his unique home; a treasure gently tucked in the mountain and surrounded by national forest. Doug and Liliane are ready to retire. They are in the process of building themselves a new house higher up the mountain - a Quonset hut home with even more spectacular views. The Domes, and several acres of surrounding land, are currently for sale. If we had the money I would buy this this place in a heartbeat, but I'd never leave because the trip up and down the mountain is just too darn scary! If you’re looking to buy let me know and I'll split the finders fee with you! 😂



4 comments:

Diane Denman said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Angela96 said...

So cool! Love this blog! I'd love to see this listing!!

Barb said...

Loving your blog!! Your descriptions, like the sunsets, are masterful. 💜

Jodi B said...

Amazing!